What is IMPaCT?
IMPaCT is a randomized phase II clinical trial, assessing standard chemotherapy treatment called Gemcitabine versus personalised treatment based on specific tumour characteristics in patients with recurrent or metastatic pancreatic cancer.
Why are we doing the IMPaCT trial?
Less than 5% of patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer survive more than 5 years and sadly there have been no major improvements in outcomes over the last 20 years. Previous clinical trials in unselected patient populations have shown only modest improvements in survival when using the current standard chemotherapy, Gemcitabine. By selecting patients based on their unique genetic make-up and matching this information to targeted therapies, we hope that the response to these targeted therapies will be much higher, and subsequently improve overall survival.
How does the IMPaCT trial work?
Potential patients will be screened for specific genetic characteristics based on their biological material sequenced as part of the APGI study. Once these characteristics are confirmed, patients will be randomised to receive standard therapy (Gemcitabine) or a personalised therapy.
The IMPaCT trial will initially enroll 20 patients to determine the usefulness of randomising patients to a peronalised treatment approach. Then further down the track, the study will recruit a further 70 patients to determine the effectiveness of the personalised treatment approach against disease progression.
Where will the IMPaCT trial be running?
The IMPaCT trial is not yet open for recruitment, however we envisage the first sites to open the IMPaCT trial will be in December 2012, and at this stage will include the following APGI sites in NSW and WA:
- Northern Cancer Institute, St Leonards NSW
- Bankstown-Lidcombe Hosptial, Bankstown NSW
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown NSW
- Fremantle Hospital, Fremantle WA
To be a part of the IMPaCT trial you would need to be able to travel to one of these sites for your treatment.
Am I eligible for IMPaCT?
There is stringent enrolment and inclusion criteria for this clinical trial, specifically:
- You must be 18 years or older and have been diagnosed with recurrent or metastatic pancreatic cancer.
- You must be currently enrolled and consented with the APGI study. If you are unsure if you are part of this study, or want to find out how you can join this study please email us at .
- You must have had key genetic targets identified and confirmed via the APGI.
- You should not have received any prior chemotherapy treatment for your recurrent or metastatic disease.
How do I get involved with the IMPaCT trial?
Print out this information and take it to your treating oncologist and discuss it further with them to confirm that you fit the inclusion criteria.
If your treating oncologist is confident that you fit the inclusion criteria and you wish to be considered for screening for this trial, then please email us at email@example.com.